Friday, March 7, 2014

Phantom Glasses



I wore glasses for over 20 years. Last year I had laser eye surgery. I've been glasses free for 13 months now. My brain is still getting used to that fact.

After I had the surgery done I would find myself reaching up to adjust my glasses that were no longer there. When I would step into the shower I would try to remove my phantom glasses. The first thing I would do in the morning, once I woke up, was to reach for my glasses on the night stand. (Up until a couple months I still kept them there because I didn't know what I should do with them.) It's still a unique feeling to walk into a warm and humid room from the dry cold outside and not have my vision fog up.

A couple days ago I hopped out of bed and went to the kitchen for breakfast. As I walked down the hall I instinctively stopped, realized I didn't put on my glasses, and turned to my room to go get them. It took a second for me to remember I don't need glasses any more. Even after a year I still have some of those old reactions from a different life.

Find a lesson in there somewhere.

No comments: